Mater Christi School is a very special place where students learn and grow spiritually, intellectually, and interpersonally in a dynamic and nurturing learning environment. Our school is a sponsored ministry of the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and is a member of Mercy Education (MESA), and we are located in the heart of Burlington, just across the street from the University of Vermont. Mater Christi has a long and proud history in Burlington. For over 130 years, the Sisters of Mercy have been sponsoring schools and educating young people in the Burlington area dating back to the founding of Mount St. Mary’s Academy in 1886 and the development of Mater Christi School in 1963.
Throughout our history, Mater Christi has been and continues to be a close-knit community and value-centered school where all are welcome! Today, Mater Christi combines rigorous, 21st-century academics with a global philosophy in the Mercy tradition. From the first day of preschool through eighth grade graduation, we encourage our students to discover their many gifts and talents, and become the best version of themselves. A Mater Christi education transforms our students’ futures and prepares them to transform our world.
There are many reasons why Catholic schools like Mater Christi consistently achieve outstanding results. Among the many reasons parents choose our school is:
- We offer an education that combines Catholic teachings and the Mercy tradition with academic excellence.
- We cultivate a faculty and staff of people who see their work as a vocation more than a job, and are dedicated, caring, and committed to best practice.
- We partner with parents in the formation of their children.
- We set high standards for student achievement and help all students to succeed.
- We provide a balanced academic curriculum that integrates faith, culture, and life.
- We use technology effectively to enhance education.
- We instill in students the value of service to others.
- We teach children respect of self and others.
- We emphasize moral development and self-discipline.
- We prepare students to be productive citizens and future leaders.
- We have a 99% high school graduation rate, and 85% of Catholic high school graduates go on to college.
- We provide a safe and welcoming environment for all.
As a Catholic and Mercy school, we welcome families of many different faith traditions. We are a place where all are welcome! In many respects, the heart of Mater Christi School can be summed up by the song All Are Welcome by Marty Haugen. The opening stanza of this song states:
Let us build a house where love can dwell and all can safely live, a place where saints and children tell how hearts learn to forgive. Built of hopes and dreams and visions, rock of faith and vault of grace; here the love of Christ shall end divisions. All are welcome, all are welcome, all are welcome in this place.
I encourage you to visit our school and learn more about our history, community, academics, programs, and admissions process. People are at the heart of Mater Christi, and our school is blessed with dedicated and inspiring teachers, joyful students, and highly supportive parents. Together we work together to make Mater Christi a special place for children to learn and grow.
We would love to share more details about why Mater Christi School is a great place for your child. Please contact our school office to arrange a tour so you can personally experience our school. We look forward to meeting and welcoming your child and family!
Timothy E. Loescher, MST
President/Head of School