Mater Christi School is a very special place where, guided by our Catholic faith and inspired by Catherine McAuley and the Sisters of Mercy, we educate and form students by promoting academic excellence, moral responsibility, and joyful community in order to prepare them to become leaders who serve.
We recite our Mercy Pledge every day, which frames our goals for each student and as a school community:
As a Mater Christi student, today I pledge
to do my best, to show respect, to forgive, to listen,
and to become a courageous and compassionate leader
like Catherine McAuley
ready to serve a vulnerable world.
Our school is a sponsored ministry of the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and is a member of Mercy Education. We are located in the heart of Burlington, just across the street from the University of Vermont, and we have a long and proud history in Burlington. For over 135 years, the Sisters of Mercy have sponsored schools and educated young people in the Burlington area, beginning with the founding of Mount St. Mary’s Academy in 1886 and the development of Mater Christi School in 1963.
Mater Christi consistently achieves outstanding results. Among the many reasons parents choose our school:
- We offer an education that combines Catholic teachings and the Mercy tradition with academic excellence.
- We provide a safe and welcoming environment for all.
- We cultivate a faculty and staff of people who see their work as a vocation more than a job, and are dedicated, caring, and committed to best teaching practice.
- We partner with parents in the formation of their children.
- We set high standards for student achievement and help students rise to those standards.
- We are extremely careful with the use of technology in a child’s education.
- We emphasize the importance of content in our academics as well as the development of skills.
- We teach children respect for self and others, and instill in students the value of service to others.
- We emphasize moral responsibility, self-discipline, and hard work.
- We prepare students to be productive citizens and future leaders.
As a Catholic and Mercy school, we welcome families of many different faith traditions, and experience great richness in such diversity. We believe that the pursuit of truth, beauty, and goodness should be accessible to all. It is our greatest joy to join with students and families committed to such a lofty pursuit.
I encourage you to visit our school and learn more about our history, community, academics, programs, and admissions process. People are at the heart of Mater Christi, and our school is blessed with dedicated and inspiring teachers, joyful students, and highly supportive parents. Together we work to make Mater Christi a special place for children to learn and grow.
We would love to share more details about why Mater Christi School may be a great place for your child. Please contact us to arrange a tour so you can personally experience our school. We look forward to meeting and welcoming your child and family!
Timothy E. Loescher, MST
President/Head of School